The new Shaken rule and why I like it

A place for all the general savage goodness

The new Shaken rule and why I like it

Postby Fatherdonz » Tue May 05, 2015 11:37 am

No raise to remove Shaken

for those not linky worky:

At the beginning of their action, a Shaken character makes a Spirit roll to recover. On a failure, he remains Shaken. On a success, the character removes their Shaken condition and may take their action normally.

Here's why I like it:

A new book will be printed and I think we have all successfully shamed Shane into using a better vendor to develop an index worthy of this rule-set.
It greatly speeds up combat and diminishes the Shaken effect while boosting the Leadership and Personal Edges that tend to hangout unnoticed in the rule book.
Undead are now a real threat with their +2 to recover.
GM bennies won't be wasted after a series of poor rolls at the final confrontation (CON Games)

What are your thoughts and how will this Core Rule change your game?

Fatherdonz
RMS Member
RMS Member

Re: The new rule and why I like it

Postby RivetDRivet » Tue May 05, 2015 8:18 pm

We used it this past weekend at our game. I thought it worked like a champ.
RivetDRivet
RMS Member
RMS Member

Postby Lord Inar » Thu May 07, 2015 9:12 am

I've almost always used this rule for my kids games and I think it is great!
Lord Inar

Postby SavageBull » Thu May 07, 2015 5:37 pm

I like the new rule. The worst situations I've seen in gaming have come from a bad roll making a player NOT get to play for several rounds (and this was GURPS so that meant basically the whole evening). People show up to play, not to sit and wait and no matter how fast your system is, getting to do mostly nothing is a bad time.

For me, this rule will help the urge to give out more bennies so the -failure = can't act- situation can't happen. I almost always urge my players who fail (succeed without a raise) to spend the bennie anyway. Now, they don't need to.
Christopher "Savage Bull" Landauer - RMS Games Coordinator - SavageCast Co-Host - Tacticon 2016 RPG Coordinator
SavageBull
RMS Member
RMS Member

Re: The new Shaken rule and why I like it

Postby AnnePR » Fri May 08, 2015 8:57 am

Personally, I'm not a fan of this change. I think there should be some consequences to becoming Shaken or what's the point? If you're rattled, get out of the action! If you rattle easily, don't get into the action in the first place!

Of course, I've never valued the idea of my characters always succeeding (as a PC or as a GM). I like characters to fail periodically. It adds interest without resorting to the "PC as walking plot device" schtick. Of course, I frequently play characters who are better off not getting into a fight. Some might say they don't "contribute" as much, but it really depends on how you define "contribute".

Time to find a GM to run Deadlands for me so that I can play a weird scientist who isn't just a gunslinger with a fancy gun... I want to play "Q", not "Bond". Or better yet, "Carl" from the movie Van Helsing.

Each to his own,
Anne
AnnePR
RMS Member
RMS Member

Postby Lord Inar » Fri May 08, 2015 9:22 am

As someone on the boards pointed out six seconds is a long time to not be doing anything in combat!
I think the thing that gets lost here is that when a character becomes shaken, they cannot act for n+1-r rounds where n is the number of times they fail on the Spirit roll and r is a 1 or 0 depending on if they got a raise on the spirit roll. The equation now is simply n. It doesn't change at all the likelihood of actually becoming unshaken, nor does it change your likelihood of getting wounded (unless you were going to defend as that first action after being unshaken).
Also, when you're wounded it is still quite easy to fail that shaken roll, so there is definitely a consequence to being shaken. We had a guy stuck in shaken-lock for 5 rounds as he was wounded and out of bennies. The new rule wouldn't have changed that a bit. Finally, as a GM, I always spend the bennie to immediately recover the big bad if they make the Spirit roll. I don't always do that if they fail the roll.
Lord Inar

Postby Neal5x5 » Fri May 08, 2015 3:42 pm

My first encounter with this will be on Saturday. My character sucks at combat so I'm sure I'll get to try it out.
"Neal, Your cock game is awesome!" Clint Black, Genghis Con 2012
Neal5x5
RMS Member
RMS Member

Return to General Savagery