#Savage100 at Tacticon 2017

Savage Worlds at Conventions

#Savage100 at Tacticon 2017

Postby SavageBull » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:41 pm

The Rocky Mountain Savages are going to run over 100 games at Tacticon 2017!

We've done a #Savage100 for GenghisCon, but never at Tacticon, and since this is going to be the biggest Tacticon ever, we're going to run more games than ever. And to do that we need YOU, so come run some Savage Worlds (or other events) at the 29th year of Tacticon.

Tacticon 29 / Rocky Mountain Con 5
Dates: Thursday, Sep 28 - Sunday, Oct 1 2017
Badge refunded for running 12 hours of games. GMs who have run 12 hours at either Con in the last year will get their badge after they submit 12 hours for Tacticon. "New" GMs will get refunded at Tacticon when they've run their games.

Game Submissions are open now!

Badge purchase and game submission: https://tabletop.events/conventions/roc ... acticon-29

Note: Savage Satuday Night games should begin at 7:30. We're going to list the Savage Saturday Night get-together and give-away as its own event now which will help us get people to the right place for the meetup and then to the right tables afterward.

Friday Night Bar Fight will be back with a vengeance, and we're also going to extend the drinking-while-gaming to [ Thursday Night You Meet in a Tavern ] (for Fantasy Gamers), and for those who aren't participating in Savage Saturday Night, [ Saturday Night One-SHOTS! ] (for the Indy RPGs).

If you'd like your game scheduled in the bar area, be sure to include Friday Night Bar Fight/Thursday Night You Meet in a Tavern/Saturday Night One-SHOTS! in the description.

Also, be sure to let your friends on social media know what you're running and use #Savage100 to tag your posts.
Christopher "Savage Bull" Landauer - RMS Games Coordinator - SavageCast Co-Host - Tacticon 2016 RPG Coordinator
SavageBull
RMS Member
RMS Member

Re: #Savage100 at Tacticon 2017

Postby philradams » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:18 pm

What's the layout going to be like at the Crowne Plaza? Is it all one big open floor, hotel rooms, conference rooms? Sorry if this was covered elsewhere.
philradams

Postby SavageBull » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:29 pm

philradams wrote:What's the layout going to be like at the Crowne Plaza? Is it all one big open floor, hotel rooms, conference rooms? Sorry if this was covered elsewhere.

Tacticon is partnering with Rocky Mountain Con, so what was a ~2k person convention (Tacticon) will be a ~6k person convention with a dealers' room to match. The Comic stuff will be located in the Convention Center (large ballrooms) whereas the gaming will be located in the Hotel proper. We haven't done a walk-through yet to finalize assignments, but if you want all gaming and not to be bothered with Cosplay, etc. you can hang in the hotel side.

Our goal with gaming is to find a happy balance by limiting the number of tables per area to cut down on noise and heat. RPG Gaming will NOT be in the ballrooms like other conventions have tried, that didn't really work out well.

I believe that the hotel side has a series of smaller conference rooms, and those will certainly be put to use for more intimate gaming. And we're going to see about getting the waterfall shut off for gaming in that area of the hotel without the waterfall noise (if only to limit the number of times it makes us all have to use the bathroom, hah!). There will also be tables set up for gaming in the bar area each of the nights (Thursday, Friday, Saturday) for adult beverage enhanced gaming.

I'm pretty sure we're going to sell out the rooms at the hotel (and I think staff is working on discount rates at other nearby hotels for rooms as well) so I would not expect many or any of the hotel rooms to be converted to gaming space.

More info as we get closer to the con.
Christopher "Savage Bull" Landauer - RMS Games Coordinator - SavageCast Co-Host - Tacticon 2016 RPG Coordinator
SavageBull
RMS Member
RMS Member

Postby jcfiala » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:30 am

Wait, Tacticon is returning to Denver? That's quick, I thought it was going to remain down in Colorado Springs for a few years. Anyone know why the return?

I might actually be able to return to running games this year, then - hopefully my wife's leukemia will be taken care of and either she or someone else can watch Rose, who is still a bit young for the conventions. If nothing else, I can probably take Friday off and run games that day. :)
--
John Fiala
jcfiala
RMS Member
RMS Member

Postby SavageBull » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:04 pm

jcfiala wrote:Wait, Tacticon is returning to Denver? That's quick, I thought it was going to remain down in Colorado Springs for a few years. Anyone know why the return?

The Con has always been willing to experiment and I think that despite ok attendance, the fact that a raised security level on the military bases prevented civilian transport killed the planned supply of new blood to the Con while it grew its audience, Tacticon was thus not as well attended as it needed to be for long term profitability. Tacticon was at a hard size in attendance, it needed almost as much space and tables as Genghis but didn't have the Genghis attendance, so that made the increased hotel costs a no-go for Denver. Well, the new partnership with RMC allows Tacticon to benefit from much larger numbers and RMC to benefit from room nights which Tacticon brings.

This is perhaps not the end of the Cons looking to bring events to the Springs. They might start a new third Con or some other events there. Hopefully the partnership with RMC will prove mutually beneficial and last a long time. The change of date is another experiment in trying to get Tacticon to hit Genghis numbers. And more.

jcfiala wrote:I might actually be able to return to running games this year, then - hopefully my wife's leukemia will be taken care of and either she or someone else can watch Rose, who is still a bit young for the conventions. If nothing else, I can probably take Friday off and run games that day. :)

It'll be good to see you back at the Cons, John. Best to the wife in her recovery.
SavageBull
RMS Member
RMS Member

Return to The Long Cons